Yes, it is true that they get more out of class if they prepare. However, students who are well-prepared for class also contribute to OTHER STUDENT'S learning much more, while those who are unprepared can impede it. When I have students work collaboratively in class, students who have not read the material seriously hamper the work and learning of those students who have prepared.  I think it is important that students realize how much their own effort and contributions to a class discussion/activity. I also think it is appropriate that their course grade reflect the extent to which they consistently put forth effort and contribute to the class.

THANKS to all of you who have contributed ideas and I hope more of you will do so!

Rory McElwee

jim clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Louis_Schmier wrote:

> Got a question about all this "getting." Why are you bothering
> with all this getting students to prepare?

Although I don't actually agree with many of the suggestions to
"require" students to do things to prepare for class (they're
adults and can either prepare or not, and bear the consequences),
it should be obvious why we want to "get" them to prepare ... so
that they "get" more out of the class.

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg 4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 2E9 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark