Interesting reply because it suggests a trend that has developed after I
finished my grad training.

We actually sat, for 4 3-hour time blocks and took "EXAMS" This business of
writing papers is a new deal--I think not stressful enough at all!!

Annette

:-)

Quoting "Erin A. Kennedy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Question #1: Is the purpose of >prelims to
> >test competency in a solid knowledge base (i.e., content exam) prior to
> >doctoral work or in a general skill set (i.e. stats and
>

> In my department, the answer is the latter.  We must show competence in 6
> areas:
> specialty (e.g., Developmental), non-specialty (e.g., Social),
> stats/methods,
> history and systems, ethics, and diverity.  We develop and write 3 large
> scale
> "papers" that show our knowledge in these area while also demonstrating the
> generation of novel ideas and information.

> >style='font-size:

> >style='font-size:
>
> >10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Question #2: If it is content >based
> should
>
> >the content be broad (e.g., any topic from PSYC 101) or narrow (in the
> >test
>
> >takers specialization?
>
> As above, the specialization is a part of it.
>
> For what it's worth, I think this format is pretty good.  My advisor wrote a
> very specific paper in a very specific area for her prelims and basically
> never
> wants to think about that subject matter again.  By making the exam broader,
> we (I am still a student and did this last spring) are able to demonstrate
> our
> breadth of knowledge and to demonstrate our ability to add to the field.
>
> Erin K.
> *****
> Erin A. Kennedy
> Department of Psychology
> Saint Louis University
> 3511 Laclede Avenue
> St. Louis, MO  63103
> (314) 977-2262
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Department of Psychology
University of San Diego
5998 Alcala Park