"Annette Taylor, Ph. D." wrote:

> But that's exactly the point of having the sit-down exams, I believe, that we
> really had to KNOW the stuff; we didn't know exactly what would be asked of us
> so we had to know it all for each exam.

I should add that in addition to the 15-week prelim papers, we have a 2 hour oral
exam shortly following the written section.  The oral exam takes care of the
stressing out and thinking on one's feet and knowing the material part.  You have
a 5-person committee and, although they give you some idea of what they might ask
you in advance, pretty much anything from graduate school is fair game.

Something interesting about the orals is that it does have a point--it's good
practice for job talks and it allows faculty to "judge" you on your ability to
maintain a conversation with a colleague.  So it's not necessarily a grill
session, but more of a dialogue (or the comparable word for a group of
6...conversation, I suppose) about psychology.

Erin
--
Erin A. Kennedy, M.S.