In a message dated 3/19/2004 1:30:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Today, during a discussion of hearing loss and deafness, one of my students asked if I knew what causes hearing loss during pregnancy. It seems that her aunt has had this experience through several pregnancies, and after the baby is born, it clears up.
My eldest daughter suffered a permanent hearing loss in one ear, which began during her pregnancy with her first child.  Several ENT's she consulted said that tisssues swell during pregnancy all over the body, and the swelling in the inner ear can damage the auditory nerve. They predicted that she would not have a problem with the future pregnancies, and, fortunately, later pregnancies never affected the other ear.

Riki Koenigsberg