At 1:27 PM -0500 3/24/04, Deb Briihl wrote:
This isn't a story that I have heard before - is this part true? If so - does anyone have the details?

Julie then goes on to tell Slater:

"You know, if my father made one mistake, it was in the words he chose.
People hear the word 'control' and they think fascist...He was a pacifist.
He was a child advocate.  He did not believe in ANY punishment because he
saw firsthand with the animals how it didn't work.  My father is responsible
for the repeal of the corporal punishment ruling in California, but no one
remembers him for that."

Beth Benoit

Haven't heard it before, but then I haven't read his autobiographies completely (just most of his substantive books ;-).
A quick Web search came up with some indications that he did provide at least written testimony and was quoted by opponents of corporal punishment.
It's certainly consistent with his stated positions, and the way he raised his own daughters.
--
* PAUL K. BRANDON [EMAIL PROTECTED] *
* Psychology Dept Minnesota State University *