At 6:44 AM -0700 4/13/04, Annette Taylor, Ph. D. wrote:
Quoting Allen Esterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

 "I began this book in search of Deborah Skinner, the elusive, mythologized
 daughter of the twentieth century's most radical neobehaviorist, and I
 never found her. I'm sure she is alive, but I did not come up with any
 data that would convince me of her mental status. After years as her
 father's experimental subject, did she fare well? Did she thrive? Is she
 dented or damaged in some way? I don't know."

 “After years as her father's experimental subject, did she fare well? Did
 she thrive? Is she dented or damaged in some way? I don't know”, it is
 little wonder that Skinner’s daughters are deeply concerned that the
 notion most likely to remain in readers’ minds is the insinuation that
 their father may have mistreated Deborah.

I think this set of quotations is what has me going. Slater sets a tone of whatever Skinner's children may have experienced, it resulted in a negative outcome.

Why not a positive outcome, since, if she has correctly represented Skinner,
that should have been the outcome?

I feel like from the get go there is no objectivity when a side is taken.
Unfortunately, this is the image that is now being presented to the
lay public.
More damage control at my end!

I think that Slater's book may best be categorized as historical fiction. -- * PAUL K. BRANDON [EMAIL PROTECTED] * * Psychology Dept Minnesota State University * * 23 Armstrong Hall, Mankato, MN 56001 ph 507-389-6217 * * http://www.mnsu.edu/dept/psych/welcome.html *