Hi

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, James Guinee wrote:

> I heard the APA wants to retire the term "subjects"
>
> Is this a good move, or are they just being silly?

They are being silly.  Subjects is listed in at least one
dictionary I found on-line as meaning humans or animals in
scientific experiments, and there is certainly no doubt about
that meaning in psychology.  The fact that it also means national
subjects of some ruler is incidental, just as is the fact that it
can mean a school subject (and just as we should not ban use of
the word "ruler" because it can mean something to measure with).

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark