In Kazdin's "Research design in clinical psychology" (3rd ed.), the
rationale for retaining "subjects" is provided in a footnote to the
first chapter.  Among the points made:

1) "Subjects" is used extensively in discussions of design, (subject
selection, within-subject, single-subject).

2) "Participants" is vague.  It could refer to experimenters,
investigators, subjects, and consumers.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 6/17/04 9:00:28 AM >>>
I heard the APA wants to retire the term "subjects"

Is this a good move, or are they just being silly?

 Jim Guinee, Ph.D.

 Director of Training & Adjunct Professor

 University of Central Arkansas Counseling Center
 313 Bernard Hall    Conway, AR  72035    USA

 "Too many of us have a Christian vocabulary rather than a
   Christian experience.  We think we are doing our duty when
   we're only talking about it."  ... Charles F. Banning

 E-mail is not a secure means to transmit confidential
 information. The UCA Counseling Center staff does not
 use e-mail to discuss personal issues. The staff does
 not maintain 24-hour access to their e-mail accounts.