I have tried setting the top score earned on an exam as the "100% " score, and have also had students provide written explanations of the correct answer for each test item for half-credit, but the "adjustment" I most often make, which has worked fairly well for me, is based on looking very carefully at any test items that less than half the class gets right. When more than half the class answers an item incorrectly I re-evaluate the item for clarity, content relative to what was covered or assigned in class, and importance. If I decide that perhaps the item was not written as clearly as it might have been or, that student misunderstanding may have resulted from too quick coverage in class, or that perhaps that item addressed a rather minor point, I make that question extra credit by lowering the points expected on that test (but still allowing students who answered correctly to keep the points they earned). If I know the content was well covered and well practiced , I keep the question in, despite the high miss rate.

Linda Walsh
University of Northern Iowa