Much more importantly (IMHO), censoring one's history course to suit ones personal theoretical sensibilities is just plain Orwellian. Freud was influential -- you teach it. You don't have to enodrse it. (I assume you teach about, say, eugenics without endorsing it, yes?)

Astonished,
--
Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone: 416-736-5115 ext. 66164
fax: 416-736-5814
http://www.yorku.ca/christo/
============================
.

Rob Weisskirch wrote:
I have to completely disagree with Dennis's previous postings about the placement of Freudian theory in History and Systems courses and not in Developmental.

Dennis wrote:
I teach Developmental Psychology and noticed that the problems Gary
points were more obvious in those texts. So, a few years ago (probably
more than 10) I added to my list of criteria for textbooks in that
course that the book must minimize its presentation of Freudian Theory.
If a text presents Psychodynamic Theory as one of the theoretical
approaches to our understanding of development it is consigned to the
rejected pile. The first time that I applied this criterion I reduced my
pile of possible texts from about 12 to three.=20

I do think that Psychology students should learn something about this
theory, but the appropriate place for that learning is in the History of
Psychology course.

First, Freudian theory and concepts have been so embedded in our culture that students already have some knowledge of Freudian theory, spotty as it is.  I feel strongly that good pedagogy starts where the students are.

Second, how does one teach about Eriksonian theories, particularly relating to identity, without an understanding of Freud?

Third, how does one teach about the ever-popular Attachment theory without developing an understanding of psychoanalytic theories?

Fourth, how does one teach about Levinsonian theories of adult development without an understanding of Freud?

This is just a smattering of how Freudian theory has influenced Developmental Psych.

Rob
Rob Weisskirch, MSW, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Human Development
Department of Liberal Studies, Building 82C
100 Campus Center
California State University, Monterey Bay
Seaside, CA 93955-8001
(831) 582-5079