OK - I think we're getting close (thanks, Stan & Tim). There are four
"innocent" outcomes - 1111, 2222, 3333, and 4444. But there are 256
total possibilities (4 four each of 4 places, 4*4*4*4 = 256), so the p
"innocence" by chance = 4/256 = .0156.

I agree a Bayesian approach would be useful, since we really want the p
of innocence or guilt, not the p of the data being such-and-such. Using
the "odds" ratio for of Bayes theorem (H = alternate hypothesis, ~H =
null, D = data):

posterior odds = prior odds * relative likelihood

p (H / D)               p (H)           p (D / H)
-------- =              ----- * ---------
p (~H / D)              p (~H)  p (D / ~H)

H = they are innocent and ~H = they lie, D = all 4 students getting the
same tire. p(H) and p (~H)? Let's say "even odds" - 1/1

p (D / H) = getting all 4 tires the same if innocent. Close to 1, but
let's say = .90 since memory is imperfect.

p (D / ~H) = getting all 4 tires by chance = 4/256 = .015

So, posterior odds = (1/1) * (.9/.015) = or 60 to 1 in favor of
innocence, or p innocence = 60/61 = .98.

If the professor had other evidence that increased her intuition they
were guilty (past history, for instance), and thought it 2 to 1 they
lied, (1/2)* (.9/.015) = 30 to 1 odds of innocence, or p innocence =
30/31 = .968. Doesn't change much unless we really tweak the prior odds.

If we make D = getting different tires, p innocence is (1/1) * (.1/.98)
or 10 times more likely to be guilty if they mess up the tire question
(p guilt =.91). If prior odds in favor of guilt are 2 to 1, then (1/2) *
(.1 /.98) = 20 to 1 in favor or guilt (p guilt = .95).

(I did these ## quickly - are they correct??). Tim: this is totally
ignoring your point which is the p of different tires being flat.
Yikes!!

John W. Kulig
Professor of Psychology
Plymouth State College
Plymouth NH 03264

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of
life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet" - Albert
Einstein

Duke