I think that at least as much of the complaint if not more isn't about the
continued revisions--frankly, there's no reason why students SHOULDN'T buy
a new text instead of a used one, it's part of the cost of an education
and (presumably) that text can find a place in the student's library so
the learning experience isn't lost.

Instead, it is the absurdly high price of text books that makes them so
outrageously expensive. I know that there are two valid reasons a text
book costs more than a standard work of non-fiction, economies of scale
(it's cheaper to produce a larger run of a book than a smaller one) and
extensive use of pictures (four color printing is expensive), but that
would justify perhaps a 50% higher rate than a comparible non-fiction work
in a specialty field (i.e., $59.95 instead of $39.95), not a 400% one!

I recently purchased every college professor's "perfect" book--the
complete Far Side Gallery (Hooray--no more reading office doors like an
idiot). The "book" was two oversized, very high quality, volumes, full
color throughout, expensively bound and sold in a quality slip case. At
the same time I purchased a completecollection of all of the paintings of
Salvadore Dali (again, two slip cased volumes in full color, but high
quality paperback instead of bound, with normal high gloss vs "coffee
table book" grade pages and a sturdy cardboard slipcase) for $29.95. I
don't have a single course I teach that doesn't charge more than I paid
for the Far Side collection for a SINGLE textbook of far inferior
production quality and a paperback text with NO color printing and cheaper
production normally costs at least twice what I paid for the Dali.

Since the differences in prices certainly aren't due to the outrageously
high royalties paid to textbook authors (I can earn more per volume from
one of my paperback books on computer topics than I could from authoring a
high cost textbook), the only alternative is that the publishers see a
gougeable market and GOUGE accordingly!

Rick

--

Rick Adams.
Capella University

"... and the only measure of your worth and your deeds will be the love
you leave behind when you're gone."
-Fred Small, J.D., "Everything Possible"