Several of my students last semester in PSYC 101 asked me if I knew why
the number 5 was related to the color red.  They even asked me what
color came to mind with I thought of the number 5 (I even said red) and
then they proceeded to ask why.  My answer then was similar to those on
this list - Red is high in availability (particularly on our campus
where red is the school color).  The students claim there was published
evidence of a study but none could produce it nor can I find it (I've
been a little plagued by what search terms to use).  Anyone else hear of
this?

I now have an alternative hypothesis that most people who do not answer
Red Hammer think the e-mail is silly and hit delete while those who do
think Red Hammer are amazed and promptly respond and forward.  My
apologies if someone else has suggested this or something similar as my
initial response was Blue and Screwdriver I hit delete along with some
of the reply messages, but these two thoughts have been making my work
difficult this morning so I thought I should send them into cyber-space
to free my mind.

Doug

Doug Peterson, Ph.D.
Acting Director of the Honors Program