I was surprised to learn that the primary witness in the recently
adjudicated Shanley case involved a victim with a recovered memory of
abuse. Until I heard that Elizabeth Loftus was involved with the trial, I
had assumed that the victims in this case had continuous recollections of
their abuse. However, I was not able to find any information about the
circumstances of the memory recovery. In the snippet of testimony I heard
on the radio, it sounded like it might have been a spontaneous recovery
rather than something extracted from extended (and potentially suggestive)
therapeutic work. Anybody have more details on this? Three other victims
were dropped from the case. Were their recollections also recovered memories?

Thanks!

Claudia Stanny

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.
Associate Professor                     Web Site:  http://uwf.edu/cstanny/
General Track Coordinator
Department of Psychology                Phone:  (850) 474 - 3163
University of West Florida              FAX:    (850) 857 - 6060
Pensacola, FL  32514 - 5751