Something I and my students find interesting is the rare case of aphasia in
polyglots (people who are multilingual). I have gone back to some of the
earlier writings on aphasia as cited in Hecaen and Albert (1976), and find it
fascinating that someone who is multilingual may lose their "mother tongue" and
not any acquired language(s), or they may lose both primary and acquired
languages, or simply lose the acquired language(s). Recovery is similarly
idiosyncratic; however parallel loss and recovery are most likely. It suggests
localization of native language vs. acquired language. I've worked a great deal
with people with aphasia and have never had the opportunity to observe this
because of its rarity, but I keep hoping...

Carol

Carol DeVolder, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychology
St. Ambrose University