While you are making recommendations for material that will give information about "current-day psychoanalysis," I would also recommend that he read _We've had a hundred years of psychotherapy and the world's getting worse_ by Hillman and Ventura, and _Escape from Babel: Toward a unifying language for psychotherapy practice_ by Miller, Duncan and Hubble.
Dr. Bob Wildlbood
Lecturer in Psychology
Indiana University Kokomo
Kokomo, IN 56904-9003