Don Allen wrote:

Show me a study that indicates that the inclusion of "seductive details" makes students less interested in a course or less likely to take future courses in that subject and I will be quite concerned. In the meantime I will continue to spice up my lectures without fear.

Responding to both Don Allen and Doug Peterson:
I hate to get into a game of "burden tennis" here, but it seems to me that the study in question effectively undermines this common, but wholly undemonstrated assumption that "seductive details" really do increase student interest. If "seductive details" were really making students more interested in the topic, then they would be reading more closely and doing better on tests. But, apparentlly, they are not. In the face of that fact, it seems unlikely that they are craftily waiting until the exam is over to manifest their (hypothetical) increase in interest.

Regards,
--
Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology