Carol- Reading your note brings a note of recognition to me. I too have great
difficulty remembering names (well, truth be told I have a slight neurological
deficit and have difficulty with proper nouns in general). I didn't know that
was the problem till well into my teaching career. I actually found out when
one of our students was doing a study and needed someone to participate in her
research as a pilot subject. (I found out a few other things as well but that's
a long story). :) The first thing I'd suggest is finding a way to get a
neurological test battery done. I know that can be extremely difficult to
arrange into a busy schedule. But it can lead to great improvement in your
acceptance of this or other small difficulties you might encounter.

In my case I can trace the problem back to a specific bicycle accident. Of
course, neurologically after a short crisis I was told I was fine- but they
mean medically. Being lucky enough to have a few extra gray cell connections
(thank goodness for those genes!) I was compensating in a variety of ways for
some small permanent damage. It wasn't concentrated enough in a single spot to
show medically (i.e., very little difference showed up on x-rays at the time-
big surprize). But I did notice that I couldn't run as fast as I could as a
youngster, sometimes became accident prone in quite odd ways and just had a
just plain embarrassing inability to remember names. I thought I was "just
geting old". The important thing (to keept this from getting too long) is that
the result you mention can come from several distinct problems. The way you
deal with it is partly dependent on what the deficit is. The reason you need
the professional advice is that you may well be trying mnemnoic devices that
could actually exacerbate the problem or be ineffective and just a waste of
time. In my case, none of these methods works. My brain will compensate. But I
have a tendency to have a slight "panic" when I can't remember a student or
colleagues name. This leads to trying harder and harder to get it to come out.
That leads to less and less chance the work-arounds my brain is capable of are
going to work. The only technique that works for me (and I empathize with your
"tried everything statement!) is to relax and think about something else for a
moment and the name just comes.

It isn't easy, mind you, as I'm a bit of a perfectionist in my expectations of
my teaching. I still feel bad when it happens but I know now that only gets in
the way. In the long run, I'm remembering my student's names far more often
though I'm by no means perfect. And both our college and our department, in
particular, have had fairly large increases in students recently. (In 1994 we
had 30+ majors, in 1999 we had 45, but by last year we are at nearly 100! My
classes have gone from averaging 12 to averaging 23+ with the occasional one of
40+.)

BTW- one resource you have is being honest with your students that you have
that problem. In my case, this difficulty has gone from being an embarrasing
lack of concern (their perceptions according to the feedback) to the point now
that it serves as an endearing quality (maybe I just don't have that many
others!). Seriously, I emphathize with your problem- I think you've taken the
first step in recognizing that it isn't lack of effort- but find out what's
really going on. It may be that you just need to accept this as a personal
quirk and spend that time with your students regardless of what they want to be
called. :) Tim