From: Scott Lilienfeld [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 1:35 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences
Subject: Re: forensic psychology

In my experience, one of the most important misconceptions to debunk for

such students is that most forensic psychologists become criminal
profilers (perhaps it's just my idiosyncratic sampling experience, but
something like 80-90% of the undergraduates I meet who want to become
"criminal psychologists" are actually interested in becoming FBI
profilers). They don't, and the entire field of criminal profiling is
shrouded in more than its share of scientific controversy (some research

evidence, to be sure, but considerably more art than science at this
point in time).

Incidentally, I'd also encourage these students to look at the
University of Arizona (and David's suggestions are also excellent ones).

....Scott

--
Scott O. Lilienfeld, Ph.D.
Associate Professor

(404) 727-1125 (phone)
(404) 727-0372 (FAX)

Home Page: http://www.emory.edu/PSYCH/Faculty/lilienfeld.html

The Scientific Review of Mental Health Practice:

www.srmhp.org

The Master in the Art of Living makes little distinction between his
work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his
education and his recreation, his love and his intellectual passions.
He hardly knows which is which.  He simply pursues his vision of
excellence in whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is
working or playing.  To him - he is always doing both.

- Zen Buddhist text
  (slightly modified)