While I can't comment with sophistication on the physics mentioned in this thread I have to ask a simple question from a human nature perspective. Having gone through a divorce (and having seen many others do the same) it seems impossible to imagine a scenario in which the "injured" party accepts quietly the success of their Ex when they contributed to that success. In other words, can anyone imagine that if Mileva did contribute substantially to any of Einstein's work that she would never say to anyone something like, "Oh yes, he gets all the credit and the fame, but it was really I who gave him the idea!"  Every Ex-spouse that I have ever met (even in the most "amicable" divorces) has always found at least one occasion to point out the weaknesses of the other party. If there is no record of Mileva ever making a claim that it was really "her" work then this must surely be a first in the annals of human nature.

-Don.

Allen Esterson wrote:
On 28 November Stephen Black wrote:

Lukacs, B. (Date?) Some notes on Mileva Marity, later Mileva Einstein from the
viewpoint of a Hungarian relativist.  At
http://www.rmki.kfki.hu/~lukacs/MARITY.htm

This is one of the more intriguing things I've come across. It's the work of a
Hungarian physicist apparently knowledgeable in relativity theory, and with
good credentials in physics (see his web page with both impressive and strange
material at http://www.rmki.kfki.hu/~lukacs/lukacs.html and his affiliation:
Nuclear and Particle Physics Research Institute,Theoretical Physics Department,
Hungarian Academy of Sciences).

His essay is long and rambling, but he appears not to have an agenda, and has
carefully examined the love letters between Einstein and Maric. As far as I can
understand (not far) he concludes that if she made a contribution, it was most
likely  to thermodynamics, not relativity. He thinks their collaboration was
most probable for a 1901 paper which I think may be "Conclusions Drawn from the
Phenomena of Capillarity" (Lukacs reference 26), apparently not one of
Einstein's more famous ones. Lukacs also suggests that she may have contributed
to three of the four famous 1905 ones, but not the one on relativity ( the
"Electrodynamics of moving bodies")

In his abstract, he makes a restrained claim: "I contribute with some detailed
to the discussions about the role of Mileva Marity-Einstein in the elaboration
of results generally attributed only to A. Einstein. Note that I cannot prove
joint authorship of any Einstein paper (although I seem to have good arguments
for one); but my points may be useful for historians." However, in his
conclusions (#7), he uses more assertive language for his claims.

As Stephen writes, Lukacs has carefully examined the letters between
Einstein and Mileva Maric for their physics content. (I am awaiting the
volumes containing the complete Einstein/Maric letters by post, not yet
received.)  Yet for all that there are some strange anomalies in his essay
that I'll come to later.

Lukacs comments on the letters in sections, each relating to a specific
topic associated with Einstein's 1905 papers. Repeatedly he writes of
Einstein's contributions, and of no response in the replies from Mileva.
On the subject matter relating to the background to the 1905 Special
Relativity paper, he comments:
"The lack of *any* answers in letters suggests that the problem of the
electrodynamics of moving bodies simply did not interest M[aric]…"
Other comments in this section about Maric's letters in response to
Einstein's writing about physics topics include:
"...but the answer lacks almost any physics, except a mention of heat
theory."
"...but nothing about physics."
"But about ether and moving bodies Einstein times to times [sic] tries to
tell her something; and there is no reaction."

On thermodynamics: Lukacs writes that for both Einstein and Mileva the
subject of their Diploma thesis was thermodynamics. (Einstein's grade for
his thesis was the lowest of all his final exam marks, and Mileva's was
slightly lower. [Highfield and Carter, 1993, p. 50; Brian, 1996, p. 23])
The very few letters to which Lukacs alludes on this topic mainly contain
comments from Einstein to Mileva. In one Einstein refers to his idea about
a topic in relation to Mileva's, and writes in terms of a future joint
investigation, and adds: "If only we can start tomorrow." Lukacs writes
that the Love Letters "definitely indicate common work" on the subject of
thermodynamics – which topic both chose for their Diploma theses. He
continues citing Einstein's comments to Mileva, with no mention of any
response to them. Then he quotes Einstein: "The results on capillarity [a
topic apparently not mentioned previously] I recently obtained in Zurich
seem to be entirely new despite their simplicity. When we're back in
Zurich we'll try to get some empirical data on this subject from Kleiner.
If this yields a law of nature, we'll send the results to Wideman's
Annalen [der Physik]."

Lukacs writes that this is "explicit enough. A common paper is being
written." I don't think this necessarily follows. He cites nothing from
Mileva's side of the correspondence that mentions this topic. Given
Einstein's desire to draw Mileva into his work (usually resulting in
desultory responses in the letters), it could equally well show only that
he was encouraging her to co-operate on the paper. I see nothing here to
justify his unequivocal assertion that "a common paper" is being written.
In his later conclusions he writes that Einstein's 1901 paper on
capillarity is "a common product of Einstein and Marity [Maric]". Given
that he cites no mention of any ideas expressed by Mileva on the subject,
and that there was a gap of at least a year between the quoted words of
Einstein and the writing of the published paper, I fail to see how he can
justify such a conclusion. Moreover in a letter to a friend (20 December
1900) Mileva wrote: "Albert wrote a paper in physics that will probably
soon be published in Annalen der Physik. You can imagine how proud I am of
my darling.... We also sent a copy to Boltzmann, and we would like to know
what he thinks of it..." (Popovic, 2003, p. 70). Note that Mileva makes
not the least claim that she collaborated on the paper (let alone that it
was a "common product"), though in a letter to a close friend one would
expect she would have added that she did just a little bit of work on it
to assist Albert if that had been the case. Note further her use of "we"
when obviously it was Einstein who had actually sent the paper to
Boltzmann. So as well as virtually refuting Lukacs contention about
Einstein's first published paper, this letter is further support for the
belief of those physicists most familiar with the Einstein papers that the
use of "we" in relation to Einstein's ongoing work in the Einstein/Mirac
letters should not be taken literally, but (on Einstein's side) as
evidence of his intense desire that their love relationship should also
embrace cooperation on physics projects.

Lukacs next cites Einstein's mentioning fresh ideas about thermodynamics,
including about a topic on which Planck was to publish an epoch-making
paper in 1900, on the basis of which Einstein was to make a revolutionary
breakthrough in his 1905 photoelectric effect paper. There is no
indication of responses from Mileva, only of her writing about personal
matters.

Lukacs now goes into physics involving the work of Wien and Planck on
blackbody radiation, the subject that led to Planck's (tentative)
introduction of the notion of light quanta on which he published in 1900.
He then writes: "Clearly one attacking this problem must be strong in both
Thermodynamics and Electrodynamics; and the Love Letters mention both.
Maybe Marity [Maric] was stronger in Thermodynamics (surely she was more
interested) and probably Einstein was stronger in Electrodynamics; but
together they were a balanced and effective team in times when team work
was not yet usual. And look, in April 1901 [letter 27] Einstein already
reports the written form of Planck's Dec. 14, 1900 lecture."

There is something puzzling about this paragraph. He writes that someone
tackling the problems around black body radiation must be strong in both
thermodynamics and electrodynamics, and that the Love Letters mention
both. But the comments about these topics come almost entirely from
Einstein. He speculates that "maybe" Mileva was stronger in
thermodynamics, but gives no reason why one might suppose so. (Recall that
both chose thermodynamics for their theses, and that while Einstein didn't
do particularly well, Mileva's grade was slightly worse.) His comment that
"together they were an effective team" exists in a kind of vacuum, given
that there is nothing to show they collaborated on this topic beyond
possibly the subject matter of their theses.

Lukacs then dissects Einstein's 1905 paper on the photoelectric effect,
indicating the subject matter of each section, and comments: "Now is this
an Einstein work or is it a joint Einstein-Marity work one? (We can be
sure it is not Marity alone.) I really do not know for sure."

There is another puzzle here, beyond the fact that he hasn't even
established that they collaborated on material constituting the groundwork
for the 1905 photoelectric paper. There is a gap of some four years
between the correspondence and Einstein producing his historic
breakthrough in 1905. Given this, Lukacs hasn't made any sort of case for
Mileva's collaborating on the 1905 photoelectric paper itself. He writes
"I really do not know for sure", when the logic of all that has gone
before (together with his failure to mention the four-year gap and
Mileva's poor showing in her Diploma thesis on thermodynamics) is that he
has not provided evidence sufficient to even seriously entertain the
contention at issue.

Later Lukacs writes: "There are Einstein articles from 1902;
thermodynamics, and one is connected with the thermodynamics of metals. I
do not believe that they would have been coauthored..." But if he thinks
this about articles involving thermodynamics published in 1902, why does
he even tentatively suggest (even if he leaves it open) that the situation
would be different in relation to a revolutionary paper published in 1905?
And, I would add, how does he square this rejection of collaboration on
minor papers while immediately afterwards making startlingly strong claims
(see immediately below) about several of the extraordinary 1905 papers?

More puzzling still are his conclusions, which seem to be incongruent with
what is contained in the earlier parts of the essay. He writes:

"I would conclude that
1. The paper (26 [1901 paper on capiliarity] is a common product of
Einstein and Marity."
2. In 3 of the 4 famous 1905 Annalen der Physik papers Mileva's
substantial role is probable, but in the "Electrodynamics of Moving
Bodies" [Special Relativity] paper any *substantial* role of Marity is
improbable and unfounded."

The conclusion 2 is inexplicable in terms of anything he has written in
the previous pages! The only one he had given credence to in terms of
Mileva's writings is the 1905 photoelectric paper, and in regard to that
he had written of a possible collaboration, "I really do not know for
sure." And even this tentative acceptance of the possibility, I have
argued, is not justified by the evidence he adduces, especially if one
also takes into account two major considerations he omitted in his
discussion. [See above.] So how he suddenly conjures up a conclusion that
in *three* of the four papers a substantial [sic] role by Mileva is
probable is a mystery.

Having made what by any standards is a strong statement in his enumerated
"conclusions", he immediately backtracks!
"But I would not *over*emphasize Marity's role either. Nothing which I
know does contradict a simple scheme in which the vast majority of ideas
originated from Einstein, while Marity was better in mathematics and
thermodynamics."

Nothing shows up the weakness of what, on the surface is a thorough
investigation, than the latter part of the last sentence. He states as if
it were a fact that Mileva was better in mathematics, when the reverse was
emphatically the case. He also asserts that she was better in
thermodynamics, for which contention he provides no evidence. This leads
to the an even greater puzzle. Nowhere in Lukacs's essay is there any
mention of the fact that Mileva was a mediocre student at the Technical
Institute, and that her exam results in mathematics were particularly
poor. At one point he writes that "several colleagues [fellow researchers]
noted Marity's 'excellence in mathematics'." He later refers to "her
claimed 'mathematical excellence'," and as we have seen, presumes it in
his final comments. He also seems unaware that Mileva made a poor showing
in a thesis on the very subject that he asserts she was the stronger of
the two (though previously he had written only that "maybe" this was the
case!)

My detailed conclusion is that in spite of the apparent thoroughness with
which Lukacs tackles the issue:
1. His conclusions (from which he then backtracks!) are almost entirely
incongruent with his previous discussion.
2. There are two serious lacunas that seriously mar the essay and
undermine even his tentative conclusions, the first of which is Mileva's
poor record as a student at the Technical Institute. Far from explicitly
noting this, he doesn't question what he calls colleagues' noting [sic]
Mileva's "excellence in mathematics", and erroneously asserts she was
better at mathematics than Einstein (who in fact had exceptional talent in
maths, while Mileva's results in maths were especially poor). He also
asserts (without justifying it) that she was better at thermodynamics,
though in fact she scored fewer marks in her thesis involving
thermodynamics than Einstein. Secondly, he fails to take into account the
several years gap between the documentary record he is examining (which
itself shows little or no evidence of Mileva's collaboration with
Einstein's ongoing work even at that time) and the publication of the
great 1905 papers.

My broader conclusion is that Lukacs has not provided evidence that Mileva
made a substantive contribution to any of Einstein's great papers of 1905.
This is also the conclusion of at least three physicists who have been
directly involved with the relevant documents, John Stachel and Alberto
Martinez, at the Center for Einstein Studies, and Gerald Holton, professor
of physics and of the history of science at Harvard. And it is worth
noting that at no time did Mileva make even the most limited of the claims
now being pressed on her behalf.

Addendum: The one item Lukacs is unequivocal about is that there was joint
collaboration on Einstein's 1901 paper on capillarity (a contention
outside the remit of this debate, namely the contentions that Mileva
collaborated on Einstein's great 1905 papers). I have already expressed my
view above that the meagre evidence that Lukacs adduces from the
correspondence does not at all demonstrate that this was a joint paper,
and that a letter from Mileva is further evidence against Lukac's
conclusion. I would add that, given that Lukacs is almost certainly proven
wrong on his most unequivocal conclusion, there is no reason to regard his
less strongly supported conclusions about collaboration as evidence in
favour of the contentions in question.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London