Mike Palij wrote:

IMHO, it seems more reasonable to
be able to access and reflect on the memory but with
a reduced emotional response (which seems to be the
goal of current psychotherapies).

--------------------------------------

I think, despite some confusing surrounding the issue, that that is what
the treatment they are investigating does. As I understand it, (and some
of the discussions of it are as clear as mud on this point), it doesn't
necessarily remove the memory, it just removes the maladaptive emotional

Although the first paragraph of the linked article refers to wiping out
memories, it goes on to say that, although they can't do that, they are
doing the next best thing. "They have been testing a pill that, when
given after a traumatic event like rape, may make the resulting memories
less painful and intense." Later in the article in response to a stated
concern that the drug would destroy the memory, Pitman said, "The
important thing to know about this drug is it doesn't put a hole in
their memory. It doesn't create amnesia."

So, I think what they are doing, in spite of all the hype about
destroying specific painful memories, is removing the anxiety
surrounding the memory that leads to the symptoms of PTSD. It may be
that this will lead to a fading of the memory eventually but that would
make it no different than any other memory.

Mike said: " IMHO, it seems more reasonable to be able to access and
reflect on the memory but with a reduced emotional response (which seems
to be the goal of current psychotherapies)." I think that is also the
goal of this research despite the impression that might be given in
parts of the article.

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman
Professor of Psychology