Well, if I think back to my experience with writing a doctoral
dissertation, it
was partly mentor driven in the sense that it was within his field of
expertise
and as the apprentice I naturally stayed in that general area. That
having been
said, *it seemed to* take me forever to find an original niche within that
general area! Because that was what was expected of me--something that was
driven in originality by my own thinking, and that did not overlap with the
'parent' work.

To meet that expectation I needed to examine several additional variables that
my mentor had not previously examined--that is, where I was making some
assumptions about things, I had to provide additional data, carry out
additional studies, and all of this then became part of the large work
that was
the dissertation.

I always thought that was SOP....perhaps standards have changed, after all who
takes 3-day comprehensive exams any more? It seems that literature
reviews have
taken the place of the 3-day sit down pour-your-brain-out exams. For
better? For
worse? Certainly I have heard the arguments on both sides and can't
really tell.

But the quality of the magnum opus, the capstone, of one's education
should meet
a higher standard than an average journal article, should it not? After that
journal articles are a piece of cake :)

Annette

Quoting Miguel Roig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

For me, this discussion raises another issue, which perhaps partly explains
the somewhat unusual nature of this dissertation. The issue is this: To what
extent should a doctoral dissertation be the student's own original idea? I
suspect that the dissertation under discussion was the student's own idea
that was obviously pursued under the direction of a faculty mentor.

Be that as it may, I believe that in the universe of doctoral dissertations
there is a continuum between those dissertations that are entirely the
student's own conception and design and those that are entirely conceived by
their thesis advisor. One would hope that the skewness lies in
student-driven theses. However, I am sure that there are more than a few
dissertations out there that are mostly mentor-driven and those are probably
the ones that are more scientifically sound.  If this is correct, I wonder
then the extent to which such experiences result in students who fall way
short of their presumed ability to carry out independent research, to
generate and test a set of novel hypotheses, and in the case of those who
are getting mental health-related degrees, to be true representatives of the
so-called scientist-practioner model.

The APA authorship guidelines state that when dissertations are published as
journal articles the student should always receive senior authorship (except
in rare exceptions). To me, these rules were formulated based on the
assumption that the student was primarily responsible for conceptualizing
the study, for making the major decisions about data analyses, and for
writing the up the thesis. But how often is this true? I bet that in a
significant number of cases, students do not meet the first two
requirements, and the third one is only partially met because, as I
understand it, in too many cases the mentor ends up doing much of the
rewriting required for submission as a journal article.

just some thoughts on a windy late afternoon ...

Miguel