I thought that the acceptable terminology was 'developmentally disabled,'
but guess that could refer to physical as well as mental developmental
problems.  It is accurate that the use mental retardation has been out of
fashion for some time but your defense seems sound in that it's the
terminology used by official diagnostic manuals--like it or not.  I would
certainly have a personal discussion with the Learning Disability
personnel as it seems they have YOU labeled and classified already as a
bigot against the mentally disabled.  How quickly that can occur . . . .

Joan