Greetings.  No cry for help should ever go unanswered so I did a little bit
of investigation.

The product you are using that underlies falconmail.dbcc.edu is from
Ipswitch and uses the basic IMail SMTP/POP3 system that has become very
popular on campuses over the past 2-3 years.  From the appearance of your
email post, I suspect you are using the Ipswitch webmail interface with an
appearance customized to your campus logo and so on.

A setting in the IMail administrative console allows the timeout period for
the webmail product to be set to any number of minutes or no timeout at all.
During times of heavy system stress such as large numbers of email messages
passing to or out of the system, the system becomes slow and unresponsive.
When that is combined with a too short timeout, the result can be very
frustrating.  The symptoms are exactly as you describe with the web product
timing out, losing its connection, failing to send a message because the
connection has been severed but the web product is still running on your
machine, and so on.

I believe that there is currently a message posted on your campus falconmail
access reporting non-specific email system problems currently being
resolved.  There are also several new email generating viruses in
circulation and a whole new generation of SPAM has appeared in large numbers
during the past 2 weeks.  IMail uses a very efficient SPAM filtering system
but slows down almost geometrically as server load increases.

Other than that, it's quite possible that the subscribers to this list have
pooled their prodigious intellects to create a combined electrostatic mind
field to destroy your ability to communicate using email.  Never
underestimate the power of a roomful of sleep spindles to paralyze even the
strongest among us.

Anthony Golden, Ph.D.
PACAT Incorporated / NOMESys