I, too, use BB all the time.  That is what TCC went with., so I must use it.

I disagree only with the statement that it is easier to use.  I find a
free-standing Web site much easier to use.  Maybe that is only because I have
been
doing it for many years.  Plus, I want my material to be available to anyone who
wishes to make use of it.  For example, when I finish with the plagiarism page
I so
obviously need to create for my students, I want to be able to make it
available to
more than just the few students in my classes.

Anything that is for Student Eyes Only (tests, Gradebook, the chat function,
etc.)
are hidden behind BB, of course.  I do not even put my pages in BB.  I have
several
pages that are used by all my classes, as well as pages that are
class-specific.  I
only have links in BB that take my students to my site.  That way, I only have
change pages in one place.

I find that BB has many failings and limitations.  That might be because I am
using
it to do things you do not do.  I do not know if there is anything better
available.  Any alternative probably just has different failings and
limitations.

Marie Helweg-Larsen wrote:

> I use Blackboard all the time. It is very easy and intuitive to use. I
> do not use the grading options or the blog/list option. I mostly use it
> to post material and reminders. Although the same could be accomplished
> by setting up a webpage it is much easier to use Blackboard. Also
> because it is password protected (not out on the web for the whole world
> to see) I put copies of readings and other materials that only the
> students should have access to. In fact, I distribute a lot of material
> only via Blackboard (such as the syllabus, handouts, and articles) which
> saves on the depts photocopying cost (students can print for free so
> really you are just shifting the burden of printing/copying to another
> dept.).
> Marie
>
> Paul Brandon wrote:
>
> > At 10:41 AM -0700 5/11/06, Jean-Marc Perreault wrote:
> >
> >> I'm looking at using the web as a tool for my courses, and was
> >> wondering if
> >> any of you have something to say about either Blackboard or WebCT. I
> >> am not
> >> very familiar with either.
> >

> > I've used WebCT and a couple of lesser known knockoffs that our system
> > has adopted.
> > It all you want is a site to post course related materials they're
> > overkill; just set up a Web site.
> > If you need online testing, grade recording and tht sort of thing,
> > then they can be useful.  I'm not sure that there's much to choose
> > from between the various products -- as soon as one of them comes up
> > with a new gimmick the rest of them copy it.
>
> --
> Marie Helweg-Larsen, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor of Psychology
> Dickinson College, P.O. Box 1773
> Carlisle, PA 17013
> Office: (717) 245-1562, Fax: (717) 245-1971
> Webpage: www.dickinson.edu/~helwegm

Sometimes you just have to try something, and see what happens.

John W. Nichols, M.A.
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Tulsa Community College
909 S. Boston Ave., Tulsa, OK  74119