I spent a couple of pleasant hours on the PsychClassics website. Chris has several articles which discuss consciousness and psychoanalytic concepts but I was unable to find any use of the iceberg analogy.

But I did discover this interesting read:

Boring, Edwin G. (1951). The woman problem. American Psychologist, 6, 679-682

Ken

Christopher D. Green wrote:
Annette Taylor, Ph. D. wrote:

For instance, there are unconscious desires, which can cause someone to do things that he cannot explain rationally, to others or even to himself." (Leslie Stevenson.6) With the footnote annotated as: Leslie Stevenson is, or was, a reader in logic and Metaphysics at the University of St. Andrews, Scotland; and, I must say, that I found his little book, Seven Theories of Human Nature (1974) (Oxford University Press, 1987) a most useful work in the earlier stages of my study."

I have the 2nd ed. of Stevenson's book (1987). On p. 73 he makes use of the iceberg metaphor, but includes no diagram. He does not attribute it to Freud, but calls it only a "familiar but helpful analogy."

Regards,

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology          http://www.psych.appstate.edu
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608
USA