Many of Jim's earlier posts have been designed to publicize some lesser known
findings in line with his beliefs that he thought people might overlook due to
their own biases and sometimes that seems like bomb-throwing (especially
without further rational discourse about the research and its methodology).
However, that was not the context in which this one was delivered. So the
question becomes, "is his stated justification for this post, which Stephen
characterized as 'lame and unconvincing', actually a pedagogically satisfying
justification?". I can say that at least I have benefited from Jim's mention of
this post (and the subsequent follow up link of David (?) to the original
study) and I have used it profitably already (and list members comments about
its possible methodological flaws) in my graduate research course and I expect
to use it next year in the undergraduate course.

One of our most obvious cognitive biases as human beings is the confirmation
bias that allows us to seek out info that confirms our pre-existing beliefs and
ignore or denigrate evidence that disconfirms those beliefs. I think a direct
corollary of this bias is the desire to find methodological flaws with research
with which we disagree and see only the positive aspects of research findings
we support. If we teach students to find methodological flaws without
addressing this bias, we are not enhancing critical thinking; we are only
providing students with methodological ammunition to use selectively against
research that disconfirms their biases. BTW, I like to use both secondary and
primary sources to test critical thinking in these areas because, in real-life,
media accounts are likely to be a major source of information about research.
Most of the hypotheses about methodological flaws of the abortion study could
have been extracted from the secondary source itself and I want to teach my
students to respond critically to reports they read in the media.

I teach at an interdenominational Christian college where anti-abortion
sentiment (according to surveys conducted by my colleagues in political
science) is much higher than at other colleges. If I want students to stretch
themselves to think critically, I give them an example of research with
belief-congruent results containing some methodological flaws in order to
educate them in looking for methodological problems equally in both
belief-congruent and belief-incongruent research. Evidently, the author of this
abortion study, as a pro-choice atheist, has learned the lesson that presenting
empirical findings as they are trumps presenting them as we wish they would be.
It is kind of sad that, as a scientist, he has to present any worldview
credentials at all to validate his results but that is where we are in science
and politics today.

If I were to use abortion as the topic of a research methodology exercise at
another college, I would try to find one that confirmed the pre-existing
beliefs of the majority of students at that college so that I could make the
point that, in science, empirical results and proper methodology trumps desired
outcomes.

My bottom line is that it hardly matters to me what Jim's original motivation
was in sending this to the list. It (and the follow-up primary source link and
subsequent comments) has given me an excellent example of just the kind of
research I want to use to stretch my students' critical thinking abilities. And
I thank everyone on the list who took the time to find the flaws. I am trying
to achieve the goal in myself and with my students of being as critical of
things to which I am positively disposed as I am of things to which I am
negatively disposed.

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman
Associate Professor of Psychology