Marc: Thanks for your more detailed explanation (see below my message) of
what you intended to say. Sorry to be pernickety, but I still need to
clarify one point.

Ref: http://research.opt.indiana.edu/Library/INEye/IndianaEye.html
Diagram labelled "General Chromatic Eye" (middle diagram)

You wrote:
>In order for the image to be inverted, that means that light from the top
>of the object (grandma's hair) has to wind up on the bottom of the image,
>and light from her shiny shoes on the top of the image; it's also
reversed
>left to right. But the light falling on cornea is *not* inverted. Thus,
it has
>to get inverted inside the eye.

I take it that when you say the "light" is inverted you mean that in a
diagram such at the one in question (in which the only relevant rays for
our purposes are the two that go from the top and bottom of the object in
a straight line to the corresponding points on the retina), the "top" ray
has crossed over the other one and has become the "bottom" ray. But it is
important to appreciate that this diagram is not intended to show *how* an
image is formed at the retina. The crossover point here is not "where the
image is inverted". There is no point where the image is inverted in the
human eye lens system. The inversion is produced by the combined effect of
a multitude of rays from each single point on the object, the vast
majority of which do not pass through N, forming a corresponding point
image on the retina, with a multitude of image points being produced (by
rays originating from corresponding points down the object) in such a way
that the image is inverted. See the very first diagram, then the second
diagram in section 4, at
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/CLASS/refrn/u14l5da.html
and imagine the two combined.

What you have described in the above quote, Marc, is how an image is
formed in a pinhole camera, where *all* the rays cross at the same point
(the pinhole). In such a case one could say that the inversion occurs at
the crossover point (because rays that originated at relatively high
points on the object are, after the crossover point, then *below* rays
that originated at relatively lower points on the object). But this does
not represent the process by which an inverted image is formed with the
human eye lens system.

What I guess you are intending to convey is the simplified lens diagram
one uses, e.g., to obtain the formula for the magnification of a convex
lens. The only relevant diagram I can find is Fig. 3 at
http://www.physicslabs.umb.edu/Physics/sum06/Exp6_182_Sum06.pdf#search=%22lens%20%2B%20%22magnification%20formula%22%22

where the lines PQP' and OQO' correspond to rays from grandma's hair and
her shoes in your example above. A diagram showing only these two rays is
useful to obtain (using the properties of similar triangles) the formula
for magnification, but does not show how an image is actually formed by
the lens, or indeed how the inversion is actually produced. For that you
need to show multiple rays from a single point on the object passing
through a (relatively) wide range of angles at the pupil (and preferably
also the same thing from other points on the object, to show how the image
points build up).

Incidentally, the diagram in question at
http://research.opt.indiana.edu/Library/INEye/IndianaEye.html
serves to show that, as Marc has said, the size of the pupil is too large
for the eye system to function as a pinhole camera.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
http://www.esterson.org/