On Feb 26, 2007, at 2:11 PM, DeVolder Carol L wrote:

I came late to this thread, but I find it very interesting--
especially Peter Harzem's response to Michael Smith's query below--
it made me laugh because only a scientist could post that
response : ).
I have just a couple of observations to throw out there and I
appologize if they've already been mentioned.
First, isn't some of this closely related to the self-recognition
research (e.g., the rouge test) that has been discussed before on
this list?
Second, I find it interesting that William James was such an
enthusiast of stream of consciousness that he became enamored of
the use of inhaled nitrous oxide as a way to expand one's
consciousness.
I am happy that you enjoyed my contribution(s).   About your
comments:  First:   Yes it is, although that must have been before I
took an  interest in this list.   However, interesting as it is, that
literature does not say much about 'consciousness'.   Second:
There are many people of history whom we revere, but of course, what
they wrote was in the context of the times when they wrote, and
because they are 'great' they are not now necessarily correct.
William James was wrong about the stream of consciousness.   Also, he
may have taken a liking to nitrous oxide because that gas was known
as the 'laughing gas', it made you happy and laugh, and it was
addictive. In James' time it was used in anesthetics, and the
anesthetist would sniff the mask before putting it on the patient'
mouth and nose.   It is recorded in histories of medicine that many
an anesthetist became addicted.   (An early example of addictions.)
Peter

Peter Harzem, B.Sc.(Lond.), Ph.D.(Wales)
Hudson Professor Emeritus
Department of Psychology
Auburn University
Auburn, AL 36849-5214