From: Beth Benoit [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 4:58 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] The "I am Special Generation" (was "The Things Students
Say")

Here at Granite State College, we just held our annual Faculty Day,
where we discussed, among other things, the idea that many of the
students in this generation have the idea that they are "special."
Lovely idea, but some interesting - and sometimes unsettling -
ramifications.

It sometimes translates into the idea that regular rules don't apply to
them, and that they're deserving of exceptions.  The "Mr. Rogers
Philosophy" is lovely when it comes to convincing everyone that he/she
is important, and helping improve flagging self esteem, but
unfortunately it seems to stop short when it comes to the idea that they
shouldn't have to conform to the rules that govern other people.  (Like
coming to class on time, handing in assignments by the assigned date,
etc.)

Have we created a monster with this "I am Special" talk???

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Concord NH
http://acsun.frostburg.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=tips&text_mode=0&lang=