My first semester of teaching I tried something similar.  I gave four exams
with the option of dropping the lowest grade.  The problem I ran into was that
if the student's received A's on the first three then there is no reason to
even attend class anymore since they already have an A average.  My institution
does not have a firm attendance policy and being that it was my frist
semester, I really did not know any better so 1/3 of the class who did well
ceased
coming to class the last few weeks of the semester.

Albert Bramante
Department of Psychology/Sociology
Union County College