On Sun, 3 Jun 2007, DeVolder Carol L went:

I'm selecting my book for Behavioral Neuroscience, an upper-level
course, and as I look at some of the old standards, I find myself
wondering if there is really any difference between the ones for
"behavioral neuroscience" compared to the ones for "biopsych." I
tend to think not, but wonder if I'm missing anything. I've used
Bear, Connors, and Paradiso (Behavioral Neuroscience) often in the
past, but find myself leaning toward Carlson (Physiological
Psychology) now. Any insights would be very much appreciated (and
I'll try not to ask this again next year at this time--summer has a
way of making me forgetful).

The books may be different for reasons of their own, but the terms
"biopsych" and "behavioral neuroscience" aren't different in any
standardized way.

I've never seen the Bear et al. book, but I've used Carlson a lot--was
always impressed by the quality and sophistication of the science
therein.  Also, it doesn't seem to be one of those committee-written
textbooks; I once exchanged email with Carlson (after finding
something to quibble with) and his response gave me the feeling that
it's truly his book.

--David Epstein