One of the most effective demos I have used is the social trap  exercise.  I
learned about it from one of the listserves (Sorry, I don't  remember whose
idea it was) and I do it after I teach about social traps.

You offer to pay $20 to those students who write down $20 or $1 to those  who
write $1, so long as no more than 10% of the class writes down $20.  If  more
than 10% choose $20, you don't have to pay anything.  This is  particularly
effective because I tell them in advance that it is a social trap  yet I always
get more than 40% choosing $20.

Another effective exercise is for ingroup bias, (Again, I'm sorry I don't
remember the source, but it was from a psych list) You divide the class into
two
 groups based on some arbitrary criterion.  I usually use type of shoe, e.g.
sneaker vs. non-sneaker.  Each group writes down as many reasons as they  can
come up with for why the other group is wearing the shoe they are  wearing.
Usually they start off listing benign differences, e.g. they had  gym today,
but they often will list some negative statements about the  other group.

For both exercises, they can't believe that they have behaved the same  way
that the earlier research had predicted.  It's quite an eye  opener.

Of course, the best source for social psych activities is Jon Mueller's
website, _http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/_
(http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/)
He also has a free monthly newsletter.  Both have great ideas for  other
areas of Intro as well as for social psych.

Riki Koenigsberg
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])