Hi Annette,
I did find what I found several years ago about being unable to perform these
simple tasks...

The interference is a result of the proximity of the two areas of the motor
cortex for the same (right or left) hand and foot.  When using one from the
left and the other from the right this interference does not occur because the
two involved areas are relatively far apart - actually in the opposite
hemisphere.

Jim
Jim Matiya
Moraine Valley Community College
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
New webpage:
http://online.morainevalley.edu/WebSupported/JimMatiya/
2003 Moffett Memorial Teaching Excellence Award of the Society for the Teaching
of Psychology (Division Two of the American Psychological Association)
High School Psychology and Advanced Psychology Graphic Organizers, Pacing
Guides, and Daily Lesson Plans archived at
 www.Teaching-Point.net

Using David Myers' texts for AP Psychology? Go to
http://bcs.worthpublishers.com/cppsych/