Correction to my posting...

   Try this... start where you would normally end the 6 and draw it in a
clockwise manner... You'll end up with the 6 drawn and without your foot
changing directions...

Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
Manager, IBM Enterprise Technical Learning Curriculum,  Your IBM, IBM
Career Services @ RTP and ALAP
(401) 272-4664
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ronald G Shapiro/Poughkeepsie/IBM
07/21/2007 02:21 PM

"Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: [tips] RE: Can someone on the list send me an explanation please?

Hi,

    Agree with you on the scientific side of things...   but...

    Speaking of assumptions and instructions...  there is something you
can do.

    You are assuming the person draws the 6 as we normally do.... starting
at the top  and drawing the shape in a counterclockwidse manner.

    Try this... start where you would normally end the 6 and draw it in a
counterclockwise manner... You'll end up with the 6 drawn and without your
foot changing directions...

Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
Manager, IBM Enterprise Technical Learning Curriculum,  Your IBM, IBM
Career Services @ RTP and ALAP
(401) 272-4664
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jim Matiya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
07/21/2007 02:14 PM
Please respond to
"Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>

"Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>
cc

Subject
[tips] RE: Can someone on the list send me an explanation please?

Hi Annette,
I did find what I found several years ago about being unable to perform
these simple tasks...

The interference is a result of the proximity of the two areas of the
motor cortex for the same (right or left) hand and foot.  When using one
from the left and the other from the right this interference does not
occur because the two involved areas are relatively far apart - actually
in the opposite hemisphere.

Jim

Jim Matiya
Moraine Valley Community College
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
New webpage:
http://online.morainevalley.edu/WebSupported/JimMatiya/
2003 Moffett Memorial Teaching Excellence Award of the Society for the
Teaching of Psychology (Division Two of the American Psychological
Association)
High School Psychology and Advanced Psychology Graphic Organizers, Pacing
Guides, and Daily Lesson Plans archived at
 www.Teaching-Point.net

Using David Myers' texts for AP Psychology? Go to
http://bcs.worthpublishers.com/cppsych/

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [tips] RE: Can someone on the list send me an explanation
please?
> To: tips@acsun.frostburg.edu
> Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 09:44:28 -0700
>
> This was my initial thought as well, but then the feet are down in the
central sulcus and the hands and fingers more temporal/parietal so I
thought maybe they would have less interference.

<tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>

> > Hi Annette,
> > I believe the the motor cortex controls these
> > functions. They lie so close to one another that the
> > brain cannot switch back and forth that rapidly. I
> > am sure someone in TIPSville can better explain it
> > than I.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > Jim Matiya
> > Moraine Valley Community College
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > New webpage:
> > http://online.morainevalley.edu/WebSupported/JimMatiya/
> > 2003 Moffett Memorial Teaching Excellence Award of
> > the Society for the Teaching of Psychology (Division
> > Two of the American Psychological Association)
> >
> > High School Psychology and Advanced Psychology
> > Graphic Organizers, Pacing Guides, and Daily Lesson
> > Plans archived at
> >
> > www.Teaching-Point.net
> >

> > Using David Myers' texts for AP Psychology? Go to
> >
> > http://bcs.worthpublishers.com/cppsych/
> >
> > > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > Subject: [tips] Can someone on the list send me an
> > explanation please?
> > > To: tips@acsun.frostburg.edu
> > > Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:49:48 -0700
> > >

> > > 1. While sitting at your desk, lift your right
> > foot off the floor and make clockwise circles.
> > >
> > > 2. Now, while doing this, draw the number "6" in
> > the air with your right hand.
> > > Your foot will change direction.
> > >
> > > I told you so .....And there's nothing you can do
> > about it
> > >

> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Annette
> > >
> > > Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
> > > Professor of Psychology
> > > University of San Diego
> > > 5998 Alcala Park
> > > San Diego, CA 92110
> > > 619-260-4006
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >
> > > ---
> > > To make changes to your subscription go to:

> > ---
> > To make changes to your subscription go to:

> To make changes to your subscription go to:

<<image/gif>>