I have this from an  earlier discussion on another listtserve in 2/06.  It
gives an extensive  discussion of the topic.
Riki Koenigsberg
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
Matt Davis at Cambridge  discusses this.
_http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cmabrigde/_
(http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cmabrigde/)
Aoccdrnig to a  rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht
oredr the ltteers  in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist
and lsat ltteer be at  the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you
can sitll raed it wouthit  porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not
raed ervey lteter by istlef,  but the wrod as a wlohe.
Or rather...
According to a  researcher (sic) at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter
in what order the  letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the
first and last  letter be at the right place. The rest can be a total mess and
you can still  read it without problem. This is because the human mind does
not read every  letter by itself but the word as a whole.
Further discussion:  Is this as easy to read, and if not, why not?
(from Jeremy at Snopes' Urban legends discussion)
Iltnsegnetiry I'm sdutynig tihs crsrootaivnel pnoheenmon at the Dptmnearet of
 Liuniigctss at Absytrytewh Uivsreitny and my exartrnairdoy doisiervecs
waleoetderhlhy cndairotct the picsbeliud fdnngiis rrgdinaeg the rtlvaeie
dfuictlify of ialtnstny ttalrisanng sentences. My rsceeerhars deplveeod a
cnionevent
ctnoiaptorn at hnasoa/tw.nartswdbvweos/utrtek:p./il taht dosnatterems  that
the hhpsteyios uuiqelny wrtaarns criieltidby if the aoussmpitn that the
prreoecandpne of your wrods is not eendetxd is uueniqtolnabse. Aoilegpos for
aidnoptg a cdocianorttry vwpiienot but, ttoheliacrley spkeaing, lgitehnneng the

words can mnartafucue an iocnuurgons samenttet that is vlrtiauly
isbpilechmoenrne.
Or, if you prefer:
Interestingly I'm studying this controversial phenomenon at the Department of
 Linguistics at Aberystwyth University and my extraordinary discoveries
wholeheartedly contradict the publicised findings regarding the relative
difficulty of instantly translating sentences. My researchers developed a
convenient
contraption at http://www.aardvarkbusiness.net/tool that demonstrates  that
the hypothesis uniquely warrants credibility if the assumption that the
preponderance of your words is not extended is unquestionable. Apologies for
adopting a contradictory viewpoint but, theoretically speaking, lengthening the

words can manufacture an incongruous statement that is virtually
incomprehensible.
The order of letters in a word is important. What this example does not
indicate is the context in which the words appear. Those of us who read this
correctly were able to do so because we understood the context in which the
words
appeared from a grammatical standpoint. I bet you didn't read it very
quickly the first time, but because we were curious we went back and read it
again,
but probably faster. It may be true that the eye does not attend to every
letter, but it's also true that the eye does not attend to every word. In other

words, we guess, a lot, and sometimes we guess wrong because of context. For
example, I bet most of you would also be able to read this sentence and
understand it if you do some guessing:
Babe _______ hit the ______ over the __________.
We can read this because we know the context in which it is written and we
have the prior knowledge to fill in the missing words. But, what happens when
we  don't have that prior knowledge or we don't understand the context or
recognize  the grammatical structure. Obviously, we then attend to the word and
all
of its  letters. That's what phonics teaches our students to do. How many
times have you  heard a student read something and use a word that was similar
but incorrect? If  so, he's probably not grasping the context or grammatical
structure. Have you  ever been reading something and gotten to the bottom of
the
page and despite the  sentence being continued on the next, you read the first
word on the next page  before you've actually turned the page? I've seen
students do it.
By the way, it's "Babe Ruth hit the ball over the fence."
------------------------------
_1) A vheclie  epxledod at a plocie cehckipont near the UN haduqertares in
Bagahdd on Mnoday  kilinlg the bmober and an Irqai polcie offceir _
(http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cmabrigde/1.html)
_2) Big ccunoil tax  ineesacrs tihs yaer hvae seezueqd the inmcoes of mnay
pneosenirs_ (http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cmabrigde/2.html)
_3) A dootcr has  aimttded the magltheuansr of a tageene ceacnr pintaet who
deid aetfr a hatospil  durg blendur_
(http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cmabrigde/3.html)
All three sentences were  randomised according to the "rules" described in
the meme. The first and last  letters have stayed in the same place and all the
other letters have been moved.  However, I suspect that your experience is the
same as mine, which is that the  texts get progressively more difficult to
read. If you get stuck, the sentences  are linked to the original unscrambled
texts.
Hopefully, these  demonstrations will have convinced you that in some cases
it can be very  difficult to make sense of sentences with jumbled up words.
Clearly, the first  and last letter is not the only thing that you use when
reading text. If this  really was the case, how would you tell the difference
between pairs of words  like "salt" and "slat"?
I'm going to list some of the ways in  which I think that the author(s) of
this meme might have manipulated the jumbled  text to make it relatively easy
read. This will also serve to list the  factors that we think might be
important in determining the ease or difficulty  of reading jumbled text in
general.

There is still a very  real debate in the psychology of reading, however,
about exactly what  information we do use when reading. I don't know how much
of
this  literature Dr. Rawlinson was aware of at the time of his thesis, but I
do think  that the jumbled text provides a neat illustration of some of the
sources of  information that we now think are important. I'm going to review
some
of the  research that has been done to demonstrate this.
____________________________________

the rset can be a toatl  mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm...
the rest can be a total mess  and you can still read it without problem
This sentence is, like  the rest of the demonstration, strikingly easy to
read despite being jumbled. As  you have seen above, not all sentences
distorted
in the same way are as easy as  this to read. What is it that makes this
sentence so easy? My colleagues and I  have suggested the following properties:
1) Short words are easy -  2 or 3 letter words don't change at all. The only
change that is possible in a 4  letter words is to swap the order of the
middle letters which doesn't cause too  much difficulty (see 4).
2) Function words  (the, be, and, you etc.) stay the same - mostly because
they are short  words, see (1). This really helps the reader by preserving the
grammatical  structure of the original, helping you to work out what word is
likely to come  next. This is especially crucial for reading jumbled text -
words that are  predictable are going to be easier to read in this situation.
3) Of the 15 words in  this sentence, there are 8 that are still in the
correct order. However, as a  reader you might not notice this since many of
the
words that remain intact are  function words, which readers don't tend to
notice
when reading. For instance,  when people are asked to detect individual
letters in a  sentence, they are more likely to miss letters in function words.
Healy, A. F. (1976).  Detection errors on the word The: Evidence for reading
units larger than  letters. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human
Perception & Performance,  2, 235-242.
4) Transpositions of  adjacent letters (e.g. porbelm for problem) are easier
to read  than more distant transpositions (e.g. pborlem). We know from
research in  which people read words presented very briefly on a computer
screen that
the  exterior letters of words are easier to detect than middle letters -
confirming  one of the ideas present in the meme. We also know that position
information for letters in the middle of words is more difficult to detect and
that those errors that are made tend to be transpositions.
McCusker, L. X., Gough,  P. B., Bias, R. G. (1981) Word recognition inside
out and outside in. Journal of  Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and
Performance, 7(3),  538-551.