If you read Roger Fouts account of his time with Washoe and her foster
children, you cannot possibly have any doubts whatsoever that she truly
used language in a represenative fashion as opposed to simple imitation.
She would actually sign to herself while paging through magazines without
knowing she was being observed.  "Next of Kin" is extremely intriguing,
poignant and informative.
Joan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]