POST stands for "Peace Officer Standards and Training."  (Don't be too
impressed...I googled.)  Here's a website:
http://www.post.ca.gov/training/cptn/certified.asp

I'd be as guarded as you.  "Messages in music" sounds like that same old
"Satan is there if you listen to it backwards."  And of course, we all know
how valid the research on "Hidden Persuaders" is.

Well, actually, maybe I should ask TIPSters their feelings about subliminal
conditioning.  I've always taught that it doesn't work, that a stimulus
presented at, for example, 1/3000th of a second will not induce a drive-in
audience to "buy Coke" or "eat popcorn."  YET, the Baron, Byrne and
Branscombe Social Psych. texts claim that subliminal conditioning is valid.

I have to say that I've always used Dave Myers' Social Psych. textbooks, but
I inherited this class after it had already begun and students had already
bought Baron et al.

So this is a tangent - mea culpa - but if any want to respond to the
metaphysics of the existence of subliminal conditioning, maybe it would be
best to label the subject as such...

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University