Just a small point in this discussion. Even we, as good scientists, fall into
the trap of calling Freud's (and Piaget's for that matter, and a whole host of
others) theories, "theories" when in fact, if they cannot be falsified they
cannot be legitimately called "theories". As such I think we need a better
term: speculation, hypothesis, framework--I like framework for nice bodies of
work that are still not large enough (sufficiently integrative?) to be called
"theories," such as levels of processing or encoding specificity.

Just my early morning thinking on this.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology