At 8:17 AM -0600 11/26/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Just a small point in this discussion. Even we, as good scientists, fall into the trap of calling Freud's (and Piaget's for that matter, and a whole host of others) theories, "theories" when in fact, if they cannot be falsified they cannot be legitimately called "theories". As such I think we need a better term: speculation, hypothesis, framework--I like framework for nice bodies of work that are still not large enough (sufficiently integrative?) to be called "theories," such as levels of processing or encoding specificity.

I think that the term is "metaphor".
--
The best argument against Intelligent Design is that fact that
people believe in it.

* PAUL K. BRANDON                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *
* Psychology Dept               Minnesota State University  *
* 23 Armstrong Hall, Mankato, MN 56001     ph 507-389-6217  *
*             http://krypton.mnsu.edu/~pkbrando/            *