Here's a more interesting question than whether a one-time junior
psychophysicist can produce better theories of child development than
full-time senior developmental psychologists (or whether she can just
make more money at it than they do).

Greene Country, Georgia is about to separate boys from girls in all of
its schools, primary and secondary. They apparently have a terrible
track record with their education system. The promoters say there is
evidence that each sex learns better when not distracted by the other
(funny, that was the justification for keeping girls out of college in
the 19th century). The detractors call it a reintroduction of
segregation (presumably the most inflammatory term they could come up
with on short notice).

My questions are: (1) Do you think it will "work" (improve students'
grades)? (2) Are there important reasons to object to it even if it does
"work" (in this narrowly defined way)?

For my own part, I expect that it will "work," at least in the short
run, but more due to the Hawthorne effect than anything pedagogically
substantive. Essentially, however, it is a "stunt" that serves as cover
for the more significant problems/ The only way to improve education
systems in the long run is to provide better schools, teachers and
resources, which cost more money than most US states are willing to pay,
and then wait a generation or two for the adult society surrounding the
school system (which was itself educated in the "bad" system) to begin
to learn to value real education (rather than just the emission of
graduation certificates). Unfortunately, politicians must budget things
according to the election cycle, and no one is going to be able to wait
a generation while taking fire from the people who are the products of
the system one is trying to replace.

Regards,
Chris
--

Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology

416-736-2100 ex. 66164
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.yorku.ca/christo/

"Part of respecting another person is taking the time to criticise his
or her views."

   - Melissa Lane, in a /Guardian/ obituary for philosopher Peter Lipton