There is no such legal principle as "teacher-student privilege." And while we usually treat sensitive information that a student has shared with us confidential, in this case keeping the correspondence private and not informing some administrator puts one in a very vulnerable position. At the worst (and highly unlikely) it could be construed as an indication that the attention was not unwanted. At best it prevents any administrative support should this student make an accusation of improper conduct on one's part.

R.  Rogoway
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Mar 1, 2008, at 7:25 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu >
Subject: RE: [tips] Unwanted student attention
Date: Sat,  1 Mar 2008 07:12:06 -0800 (PST)

I would also tell my chair and show any correspondance you've had from her, and your typical response. Print out whatever you have saved. You want something documented in case she decides to retaliate, which she might once you cut her off.

Annette

No,No! Correspondence or communication between you and the student should be kept private and
confidential.Do not get the chair involved in this.

Michael Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida