On 17 Apr 2008 at 15:29, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Proponents of the hereditary basis of homosexuality seem to argue that
> the behavior extends to the animal kingdom.
> However it is also known(particuliarly in rats) that male animals will
> mount other male animals that carry female
> pheronomic variables.This would seem to indicate that a male rat will
> mount another male rat that smells like a female because
> of  exposure,and not that the animal is gay.
>
> Send me something.

The video Sue Franz sent us to was very cute, and generally accurate, as
far as I could tell. But I thought the claim that homosexuality is common
among animals was inaccurate or at least, misleading.

The problem is that while occasional homosexual activity is common in a
wide variety of species, exclusively homosexual behaviour, such as is
found in humans, isn't.

The only species I am aware of in which a sub-group is consistently
homosexual is sheep (although I believe this has also been claimed for a
famous pair of zoo penguins).

A quick search turns up this _New Scientist_ source:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn3008-homosexuality-is-biological-
suggests-gay-sheep-study.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/26mmj9

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University      e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Subscribe to discussion list (TIPS) for the teaching of
psychology at http://flightline.highline.edu/sfrantz/tips/