Maybe this has already been discussed in this thread and I missed it, but as an animal behaviorist, I can tell you that mounting is a common form of dominance behavior that can have nothing whatsoever to do with sex. Same-sex mounting most likely has very little to do with sexual preference (as we mean when we say "homosexual" and we are talking about humans), and everything to do with social dominance.

In those cases where same-sex mounting looks to have a clear sexual component, I still don't think it that it is generally due to preference. My guess is that if the same-sex mounter was given an opposite-sex option to mount, he would take it.

--Kathy Morgan
Wheaton College
Norton, MA  02766