Hi all,

Hope you are having good summer down time. I need some guidance. The names have
been changed to protect the somewhat innocent.

School X is my full time job, school Y is a steady part time gig.

School X is in a working class/poor neighborhood, school Y is in an affluent
area of LA. Students at school X are more likely to be working and students at
school Y are more likely to be fully supported by their families.

Cheating is more likely to occur at school Y although it is not unknown at
school X. I tend to monitor school Y students more closely because of this.

In my psychology 1 classes, I teach and grade the same way. I offer open-book
pop quizzes, exams with a limited number of notes allowed, one take home exam
and a required term paper.

My grade curve at school X is more evenly distributed than at school?Y where it
is much higher. I am getting in trouble because of the high average in my
school Y classes and might lose this job (since school X doesn't always provide
summer work - 10 month contract - I kind of don't want that to happen). I've
taught at Y since 2000. I feel attached to it.

I have considered the possibility that I am being a "lenient part timer" at
school Y, but I really don't think so. If anything, when I sit down to grade
the work of those students I am more likely to be in a negative frame of mind
(the students at school Y are VERY immature and behave badly in class).? The
fact is they generally do better on the MC/objective sections of my tests than
school X students.

I am discussing this with my department head. I have considered going to closed
book exams at school Y. She suggests using a curve.

It seems unfair to me to do things differently at school Y just because they do
better. They may be poorly behaved, but they are generally pretty bright.

I am just looking for thoughtful opinions and guidance. I really believe I am
being honest with myself and portraying this fairly. Thanks for your help.

Nancy Melucci
Long Beach CA
www.kiva.org? - check it out!