Nancy--

I agree with Marie. Make the assignments more challenging at Y. If the students
are better prepared academically and have more time to devote to their
education, how is it unfair to have higher standards for them?

And *definitely* make in-class behavior, preparation, and attitude a part of
the grading requirements at both schools. I always put in my syllabi that
students have to act as though they care. They don't actually have to care,
they just have to act as though they do. I would point out that acting like you
care is a key component to success in the workforce, so they can use my class
in which to practice. No one is going to succeed in life if they do the bare
minimum while rolling their eyes. When I put the logic of it in those terms,
they were surprisingly amenable to it.

Robin

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

      To clarify for Marie and others: My department head at Y wants a more
evenly distributed assortment of grades.

 I am at risk of not being re-hired.

 I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks.

 Nancy