Michael Smith asked why manhole covers are placed in the street rather
than the sidewalk.

The answer is similar to that given by celebrated criminal Willie Sutton
when asked why he robbed banks. He said "Because that's where the money
is".

Because that's where the sewer pipes are.

I was unable to find an answer to the question of what the politically
correct call a manhole cover. However, I did discover that Wikipedia has
an entry on these ubiquitous artifacts of advanced civilization. They
don't answer that question but pose another,  "Why are manhole covers
round?" This is apparently a famous Microsoft psychological assessment
question for job interviews,  which moves this thread back into TIPS-
relevant territory.

Wikipedia gives 11 possible answers.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University      e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Subscribe to discussion list (TIPS) for the teaching of
psychology at http://flightline.highline.edu/sfrantz/tips/