Hi,

I teach a 90 student human sexuality class. This (the large?size)?is not my
idea and not at all ideal. I don't think a human sexuality class in psychology
(as opposed to health) should be so large - it makes discussion difficult. But
this is administration's call and of course it saves money not to run two
concurrent small?sections.

Needless to say, I understand the environment may be daunting for students who
are sexual minorities. The discussion skews toward male-female, heterosexual
themes (as they compromise the majority of enrolled students). I do offer a
wide variety of topics and themes?in videos and?guest speakers including
GLBT?materials.?

?For the second time in 2 years I have been informed by other students that
there are gay/lesbian students who feel "left out" of the discussion. As I DO
make comments and interjections trying to (to the best of my limited ability)
introduce the perspective of homosexuals/bisexuals into discussions (I am
straight, and I feel as if I may not be able to accurately portray those
views). I am anxious and unsure of what else to do.

I would appreciate suggestions, if I am guilty of running a "heterosexist"
class on how to help these students feel more included. Or, other perspectives
if perhaps (as I've wondered) they should speak out and claim some turf if they
want to be heard?(as I have made it clear I am there to help all students speak
about their experiences if they so choose to do).

Nancy Melucci
Long Beach City College