Carol,  I've given a homework assignment after this where similar material is
covered and they have to demonstrate mastery of the concepts or material.  I
have also  included some key issues from the first test on the second, with the
guide that those who did poorly on that  first test (and these key questions)
but who do well on the familiar items from the first test will get additional
corrective points added to that first test.  I am finding that many in my
evening class of Personality are likewise not doing more than passive flipping
of pages (if that) before the exam.  They have essentially told me that they
usually get by with easier re-gurgitate questions frm other instructors.  I
advise them on study strategies, reward evidence of improvement, and reward
full attendance and involvement in class exercises and demos.  That's more than
enough opportunity.  Just some thoughts,  Gary

Gerald L. (Gary) Peterson, Ph.D.
Professor, Psychology
Saginaw Valley State University
University Center, MI 48710

>>> "DeVolder Carol L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/12/2008 1:19 pm >>>
I recently gave an exam in my 300-level Brain and Behavior class, and my
students bombed it. I mean really bombed it--every last one of them. For
various reasons that don't matter, I do take the blame for it. I have been
distracted and not doing a good job of teaching the course. That doesn't excuse
the students from reading the text and knowing the material; it's basic but
important stuff such as action potentials, lobes and their function, etc., but
it can be difficult without help. My question is this: This particular exam is
worth 20% of their grade; they have 2 more exams, a paper, and activities, each
worth 20% of their grade (the activities sum to 20%). How can I correct for my
part of their lousy performance? I feel we need to move on (the semester is
nearing its midpoint), but I don't want them to go away from this course
without understanding the material. Should I repeat coverage of the material
and retest them? Should I give them a take-home assignment over it? Should I
discard this test and work the material into their activities? I've never
really had this happen before (thank goodness) and I don't want the students to
suffer from my lousy job of teaching. What would others do?
Thanks,
Carol

Carol L. DeVolder, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Chair, Department of Psychology
St. Ambrose University
518 West Locust Street
Davenport, Iowa 52803

Phone: 563-333-6482
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: http://web.sau.edu/psychology/psychfaculty/cdevolder.htm

The contents of this message are confidential and may not be shared with anyone
without permission of the sender.