I think there is a way to be sometimes uncertain about content, etc. but
"weakness" in the sense of giving up authority and control to one's own self-
doubts, and putting that on the table for the students is simply not
appropriate,
IMHO. Students need the sense of leadership that comes from their instructors.
There are all kinds of leaders and one can be self-effacing or admit a lack of
knowledge but I see "weakness" as a larger, more troublesome concept. There
has to be some sense of authority--be it dictatorial or benevolent isn't the
issue at the moment, but the sense that someone is there with experience and
knowledge in much the same way as a parent does, is important in the
classroom.

As for the dependency comment, I was paraphrasing a previous post but as I
recall the comment, the gist was that you don't want to set a precedent where
students can start to place blame for their own failure on a teacher who comes
into class and says, "Sorry, I didn't teach this as well as I should have and
that
must be why you all did so poorly on this exam." It WILL set you up for some
students to just use that a scapegoat for less than fully effortful engagement
in
the class as it goes on, and as a scapegoat for their poor performance. In my
experience, years ago as a much more inexperienced teacher I found that one
or two students with such an attitude would rapidly spread to other students
having a poor attitude and not taking accountability for their own performance
and learning.  In that sense I meant it can all come back to haunt you in that
small thing can spread. Certainly we've all had a small lapse and said to a
class,
gee, I think I might not have said this clearly enough, or Hmm, maybe the way I
presented this in class was confusing. And I'm not talking about that.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'm any clearer after rambling.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
University of San Diego